14 October, 2008

Humbled by children

Today I have been humbled by my children.

I have been attempting to read the scriptures together with my children (as a family) which is hard when you have really little children and are doing it by yourself. I haven't been as diligent as I should be, and honestly have been feeling very overwhelmed. However, tonight Brianna came into the living room and told me it was time for scriptures. I told her to gather the other kids. She ran down the hallway singing, "It's time for scriptures!"

My heart was full and my spirit humbled.

We read, tonight, in the Book of Mormon, where Lehi felt it was important for his children to be brought up in the way they should go, and that they would not depart from it. And that because of his blessing to the children of his disobedient sons, they had the opportunity to not pay for the sins of their fathers. What a blessing!

I am feeling the weight of the spiritual upbringing of my children very strongly right now. Joseph is quickly approaching the age of accountability and I want him to be ready for the decisions he will be making in the coming years. He is one of my biggest hurdles when it comes to scripture time. I asked him five times to sit and not stand up and down on the couch. I disciplined improperly and impatiently tonight. He needs the role model of his father.

We are blessed through our children despite ourselves. I am grateful for mine. I am humbled tonight for I do not feel worthy to raise these precious spirits. What was the Lord thinking when he assigned them to me?!

I am walking away from tonight with a new resolve to continue in my pursuit of scripture reading together. Heaven bless these little ones.

3 comments:

highdeekay said...

How nice. Just when you need a boost somehow they let you know you're not doing so bad after all. Very cool

The land of Vegas said...

I was thinking the same thing last night about about prayers. I need to do them more. Now, ask me if we said our prayers last night.

Magnificent Myers said...

I know why those preious children were sent to you! I can think of nobody more capable and loving than you. They are SO blessed.
Recommit, recommit, recommit...that is the story of our lives. The important thing is not how many times we have to recommit, but that we actually DO recommit.
Keep up the good work. I, for one, am a believer that if we try our best, God will make up the difference.