12 December, 2008

I almost got it.

There is a tradition in my ward where the Relief Society Women have a "white elephant gift" exchange, it is tons of fun. A sister, back in 2000, gifted 2 sconces that look like they came from the 70's or some era long forgotten. Every year the "lucky" recipient of these sconces is to put their family name on the back and make sure to bring them the next year. It has been fun to see the responses of the past recipients and over the past few years the sconces have even been stolen from the first person who opened it. So was the case this year. Only this year I was not just viewing the "fun" but actually picked the box that housed the sconces! I'm not sure if I looked happy or not. I think my first thought was "OH, LUCKY ME!!" sarcastically. I then was thinking that it might be a good thing to get it since this might be my last year to be able to put my name on the back and subsequently "live on" (even if only in name) in the ward. And just as I was resigned, no, excited to have the honor...my dear sweet ex-visiting teaching companion went and took it from me! Her family name had not been on the back either. My next gift got stolen as well. It was a fun night.

This following picture is Elizabeth who accompanied me to the RS Christmas party at the a fore mentioned sweet ex-visiting teaching companion/host's home. Her tree was absolutely beautiful, and Elizabeth could not help touching the reachable ornaments.


1 comment:

Kim H said...

It was a fun night. I was one that had those stolen last year because they came with a big bag of M&M's. All for candy. Elizabeth is so adorable. she had such fun that night.