19 July, 2008

To believe or not to believe

Last night when Joe went to bed I talked him into putting his tooth in the treasure bag and then keeping it under his pillow while he slept. He complied, the whole time saying,
"Mom, there is no such thing as the Tooth Fairy! I know it is really you."

This morning, bright and early (earlier than I wanted!), Joe came to my room and thanked me. When I asked him what for, he said "for his gold dollar." I asked what he was talking about. So he showed me his Sacagawea dollar. Along with the dollar he got a note and a shark tooth! He was pretty excited but still claimed it was me. Guess one can't fool a smarty pants.

"Why would the Tooth Fairy give me a shark's tooth?"

"Maybe she thought you'd feel better if you had a replacement tooth."

"Nah, I know it was you, what does the Tooth Fairy do with teeth?"

"I'm not sure, but what would I do with your teeth?"

"Put them in your mouth."

"Right, cuz I don't have enough teeth of my own."

After our little conversation on the existence of the Tooth Fairy he left and promptly came back saying his light had gone out in his room when he turned it on. I worked a little spin on it claiming that was proof it was the tooth fairy who came into his room and not his mom.

"What!!??"


"Yeah, the tooth fairy is so beautiful and bright the light knew he couldn't compete anymore and just went out."

"Hmmm."

Maybe some fairy dust would have helped him 'believe'. I've never wanted to trick my kids into believing in things that aren't real. But, this time I couldn't resist, mom's need a little fun too!

Joe's other tooth came out this morning at breakfast. I wonder if he'll put it under his bed.

2 comments:

The land of Vegas said...

I love the shark tooth idea!

Cristy said...

You are such a cute mommy! Alyson still hasn't lost any teeth yet. She's got a couple of wiggly ones, I'm sure it won't be too much longer! Miss you!