16 June, 2008

Imagination

So, what could be better for the imagination than a book about some kids who go to visit their grandparents over Summer Vacation and experience the mystical land of Fablehaven their grandfather is overseeing? We have been thoroughly enjoying this book on disc which I thought might be difficult for the girls to sit still during, but which has proven me wrong. I have been extremely impressed with how Joe has shown such interest in something other than a game or a movie. One night while we were waiting in an extremely long line of cars to watch a movie at the Drive In he asked if we could listen to the story while we waited. How could I refuse?

I have to admit I am also impressed with myself. I opt to watch a movie instead of read a book because it is quicker and I don't get as side tracked. I could easily blame it on my lack of down time, what with four little children to chase around all the time and all. But, I think it is because it is all laid out for me and I don't have to use my imagination. I want more for my children.

I am now a big proponent of books on tape/cd because it opens new realms for me. Where it is hard to do anything else when you read a book, I can put on the book and do the laundry, fix a meal, or drive the car etc. I recently finished Stephanie Meyer's Twilight trilogy, now I'm looking forward to the movie to see if it follows the book. Very different than what I would normally do, wait for the movie! Who cares if it follows the book, and how would I have even known the difference??

I have fond memories of my mother reading us books like The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis before bed while I was a teenager. I hope I can instill in my children a love for literature, but I know I must do my part to make that happen. This is just a start.

1 comment:

The land of Vegas said...

I have seen that book around a lot. Is it good? What about the other books? I'm going to have to get the bug and get hooked. I finished the current Harry Potter and it only took me two weeks.