15 September, 2009

On a sad note:

This post is for my friend Stacey. I meant to do a blog about our first hamster when we got him, but I didn't. He died an unspeakable death at the hands of my children and the dog on the very day we got him. So sad. Greg proclaimed the children were too small to keep a small pet, I tried to talk him into another one since there was a return policy for two weeks. It took him a few days to soften. I just couldn't see throwing away all the money it takes to set up a small pet in his comfortable (but not too pricey) digs with all the little animal needs for only one day of life with the Porters. So once I got the ok, Joseph and I set out on a quest to find another tiny, fluffy, cute friend.

Stacey knowing of the un-timely death of the first hamster requested a picture of the new little guy so we would have proof of life. Thank you Stacey! We really did have a great time with Night Rider, as Greg affectionately called him due to his incessant night activities on the wheel. The kids were very careful to keep him in his ball, away from the DOG, if he was out of his cage for any length of time. We, ok I, checked on him almost every day. One day after three weeks co-existing with us, I went to take him out and clean his cage and feed him. The cage smelled something horrible. Every ounce of food was GONE! He had died (I'm thinking starvation). I asked Greg what day he remembered NOT hearing the whirl of the wheel. He thought it had been quiet for a few days. Oh sad, sad day. Good and bad news, he made it past the return policy. If there is anyone in need of a hamster cage and all the trimmings, let me know.

.

No comments: